The power of first impressions speaks volumes. B&B owners and innkeepers have the power to shape the first impressions of their guests. Cleaning, maintaining, updating, and renovating B&B inn properties should be planned (as much as possible). These are essential for keeping a B&B inn looking and functioning at its best.
Of course, especially with historic buildings, unexpected repairs will happen. While every property is different, there are many needs all hospitality properties have in common.
The Power of First Impressions : Cleaning
B&B inns should be cleaned regularly. This is essential, especially since COVID-19 started. Create a cleaning schedule that outlines daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning tasks. Regular cleaning tasks, such as vacuuming, dusting, and disinfecting, are essential to maintaining a clean and healthy environment for guests.
Training Staff to Clean & Regular Inspections
- Train your staff: Train your staff on the proper cleaning techniques and procedures. Make sure they know how to use cleaning equipment and chemicals safely.
- Inspect your B&B regularly: Inspect your B&B regularly to ensure it is clean, safe, comfortable, and well-maintained. This will help you identify areas that need attention before they become larger issues. This includes regular changing of linens, checking of appliances, and repairs of any damages.
The Power of First Impressions : Maintainance & More
Bed and breakfast inns should be maintained regularly to keep them in good condition. By regularly checking your property, you reduce the likelihood of finding a bigger problem later on.
- Food safety inspections: Involves an evaluation of the facility's food handling and storage practices, as well as the cleanliness of the kitchen and dining areas.
- Health inspections: Health inspections involve an assessment of the overall cleanliness and sanitation of the establishment, including guest rooms, bathrooms, and common areas.
- Fire safety inspections: B&Bs need to regularly inspect fire safety systems and equipment to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Pest control inspections: B&Bs need to regularly inspect for pests and implement measures to prevent infestations.
The Power of First Impressions : Repairing
Any broken items or damages should be repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage. Also, this is crucial to providing a safe environment for your guests. There are a variety of repairs that may be needed at different times.
- Plumbing repairs: Plumbing issues such as leaks, clogged drains, and malfunctioning toilets are common problems that B&Bs face. These issues need to be addressed immediately to avoid inconvenience to guests.
- Electrical repairs: Electrical issues such as malfunctioning outlets, flickering lights, and faulty wiring need to be addressed quickly to ensure the safety of guests and staff.
- HVAC repairs: Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems need to be maintained and repaired regularly to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Roof repairs: Leaks and other roofing issues need to be repaired promptly to prevent damage to the building and its contents.
- Appliance repairs: Appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, and dishwashers may need to be repaired or replaced if they are not functioning properly.
- Flooring repairs: Damaged or worn flooring can be a safety hazard. The flooring should be repaired or replaced as soon as possible. New wood flooring can make a dramatic difference in the look of a home.
- Painting and wallpaper repairs: Paint and wallpaper can become damaged over time and need to be touched up or replaced.
- Door and window repairs: Doors and windows may become damaged or malfunction over time, and may need to be repaired or replaced to maintain the security and comfort of the guests.
- Furniture repairs: Furniture such as chairs, tables, and beds may become damaged over time and need to be repaired or replaced to ensure the comfort of the guests.
- Structural repairs: Structural issues, such as foundation problems or roof damage, may require professional attention to ensure the safety and stability of the building.
The Power of First Impressions : Updating Amenities
There are many types of amenities that B&B inns can add to increase their business and provide a more memorable experience for their guests.
- Complimentary breakfast: One of the hallmarks of a B&B inn is a delicious and unique breakfast experience. Offering a complimentary breakfast cooked fresh and made with local ingredients can help attract guests and create a positive reputation for the inn.
- Fitness center: Adding a fitness center or gym to the inn can attract guests who prioritize wellness during their travels. Providing exercise equipment, weights, and yoga mats can help guests stay active and healthy.
- Pet-friendly policies: Many travelers like to bring their furry friends along on their travels. Offering pet-friendly rooms and policies can attract these guests and help set the inn apart from competitors.
- In-room amenities: Providing in-room amenities such as mini-fridges, coffee makers, and toiletries can enhance the guest's experience and provide them with added convenience during their stay.
- On-site restaurant or bar: Offering an on-site restaurant or bar can attract guests who want to enjoy a meal or drink without leaving the inn. This can also create a social atmosphere and encourage guests to interact.
- Outdoor activities: Outdoor activities such as hiking trails, fishing, or kayaking can attract guests who want to explore the local area and enjoy the natural beauty of the surroundings.
- On-site spa services: Offering on-site spa services, such as massages, facials, and body treatments, can provide guests with a luxurious and relaxing experience.
- Event space: Providing event space for weddings, corporate events, or other gatherings can attract guests looking for a unique and memorable venue.
- Concierge services: Offering concierge services can help guests plan their itinerary and make the most of their stay. Providing recommendations for local attractions, restaurants, and events can help guests feel more connected to the community and enhance their experience.
The Power of First Impressions : Upgrading Technology
Technology is an essential part of the guest experience in today's world. Here are some ways B&B inns can upgrade their technology to enhance the guest experience.
- High-speed Wi-Fi: High-speed Wi-Fi is a must-have for guests. Providing reliable and fast internet access can help guests stay connected and productive during their stay.
- Smart TVs: Smart TVs can provide guests with access to streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. This can enhance the guest's entertainment experience and provide them with a more personalized viewing experience.
- Mobile apps: Creating a mobile app for the B&B Inn can provide guests with a convenient way to access information about the property, make reservations, and request services.
- Digital key access: Providing guests with digital key access can enhance security and provide a more seamless check-in and check-out process.
- Voice assistants: Voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa or Google Home can provide guests with a more personalized experience. Guests can use voice commands to adjust room temperature, request information, or order room service.
- Contactless payment: Offering contactless payment options, such as Apple Pay or Google Wallet, can provide guests with a more convenient and secure way to pay for their stay.
- In-room tablets: In-room tablets can provide guests with access to information about the property, local attractions, and dining options. They can also be used to request services or make reservations.
- Online booking system: Providing an online booking system can make it easier for guests to make reservations and streamline the booking process.
By upgrading their technology, B&B inns can provide guests with a more convenient, personalized, and seamless experience. This is a great way to stand out from your competition.
The Power of First Impressions : Renovating
- Modernize the bathrooms: Upgrading the bathrooms can enhance the guest experience. Choosing modern fixtures and amenities, such as walk-in showers or heated floors, can make a B&B more attractive to guests.
- Add amenities: Offering amenities such as a pool, hot tub, or fitness center can make a B&B more appealing to guests looking for more than just a place to sleep.
- Enhance the outdoor space: Creating an inviting outdoor space, such as a garden or patio area, can make a B&B more attractive to guests who want to spend time outside.
- Update the decor: Updating the decor is one of the easiest and most effective ways to renovate accommodations. Consider adding new bedding, window treatments, and artwork to create a fresh and modern look.
- Improve the lighting: Good lighting is essential in any accommodation. Consider adding more lighting fixtures, dimmer switches, or accent lighting to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Provide more storage: Providing ample storage space can enhance the guest's experience and make their stay more comfortable. Consider adding built-in shelving, closets, or dressers to provide enough storage space for guests.
- Upgrade the bedding: Upgrading the bedding can provide guests with a more comfortable and restful experience. Consider adding high-quality linens, pillows, and blankets to create a luxurious and inviting feel.
- Install new flooring: Installing new flooring can transform the look and feel of the accommodations. Consider adding hardwood floors, tile, or carpeting to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Add a kitchenette: Adding a kitchenette can provide guests with added convenience and flexibility. Consider adding a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker to give guests the option to prepare their own meals and snacks.
By renovating their accommodations, B&B inns can provide a more memorable and comfortable stay for their guests.
The Power of First Impressions : Outdoor Spaces
Enhancing the outdoor space of a B&B inn is a great way to create a memorable experience for guests. Here are some ways B&B inns can augment their outdoor space. Check out our "Gardens & Landscapes" Board on Pinterest!
- Create a welcoming entrance: A well-maintained and attractive entrance is the first impression guests have of the B&B inn. Consider adding flowers, plants, and other decorative elements to create a welcoming entrance that sets the tone for the guest's stay.
- Add comfortable seating: Providing comfortable seating areas outdoors can encourage guests to spend more time outside and enjoy the landscaping and natural surroundings. Consider adding chairs, benches, or hammocks for guests to relax and unwind.
- Offer outdoor dining: Outdoor dining is a popular amenity for guests. Providing a space for guests to enjoy a meal outdoors, such as a patio or outdoor kitchen, can enhance the guest's experience and create a memorable dining experience.
- Provide recreational activities: Providing recreational activities, such as a pool, hot tub, or games area, can provide guests with a fun and relaxing experience. Consider adding activities such as volleyball, badminton, or horseshoes for guests to enjoy.
- Create a garden or walking trail: Creating a garden or walking trail can provide guests with a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. Guests can enjoy the natural beauty of the surroundings and take a leisurely stroll to explore the area.
- Provide outdoor lighting: Providing outdoor lighting can create a warm and inviting atmosphere at night. Consider adding string lights, lanterns, or other decorative lighting to enhance the outdoor space.
- Add a fire pit: A fire pit is a great addition to any outdoor space. Guests can gather around the fire pit and enjoy a cozy evening under the stars.
- Host outdoor events: Events such as live music, wine tastings, or art exhibits, can provide guests with a unique and memorable experience.
By enhancing the outdoor space of a B&B inn, guests can enjoy a relaxing and memorable experience that sets the inn apart from competitors.
Thus, regular cleaning, repairs, and maintenance combined with well-planned upgrades and renovations can keep a B&B competitive and attractive to guests. Licensed Realtor, Rob Sales, specializes in hospitality real estate. This includes bed and breakfasts, country inns, resorts, and small hotels.
Contact Rob today for a complimentary phone consultation if you are thinking about buying or selling a hospitality property. Having successfully owned B&B inns with his wife Jane, they know the power of first impressions.