Leisure travel survey answers were learned from thousands of Select Registry guests. Select Registry survey results come from gathered guest data after their stay at one of their member properties via survey (since September of 2019). Select Registry has had over 3,700 responses (and counting!)
In this post, we focus on Select Registry's reported survey responses to these questions: 1) What are the most important to you when staying at a bed & breakfast? 2) How often do you travel for leisure (not work) within the United States? and 3) In which seasons do you leisure travel the most in the U.S.?
Survey Results: What are the Most Important to You When Staying at a Bed and Breakfast?
Top 7 Most Important Reasons to Stay at a B&B
- Cleanliness (75.2%): It makes sense that people place a high value on the cleanliness of their accommodations. Select Registry properties are regularly inspected.
- Location (61%): Location does matter, if you own a B&B. Location factors include: population, climate, time of year, safety, local area (including activities, resaurants, & attractions), and geography (including mountains, piedmont, and coast).
- Guest service (50.3%): This is also referred to as hospitality. In the Southeastern part of the United States, this is called, "Southern hospitality."
- Reputation (45.1%): Word of mouth, reviews, and professional association memberships play a strong part to enhance or detract from the reputation of hospitality providers. Select Registry inns are routinely checked to assure guests' have an enjoyable experience.
- Quality of Appliances, furniture, bedding, linens, etc. (37.4%): High-resolution images play a key role in showcasing the quality of accommodations and amenities. Also important, is having a website that is mobile responsive (so the website adjusts to the size of the device it is being viewed from).
- Price (34.9%): Please keep in mind that the survey respondents all stayed at Select Registry properties, which tend to be higher in price because the accommodations and amenities are the best of the best. Perhaps a survey of the general population would find price to be a stronger motivator.
- Free Breakfast (30.1%): One of the most appealing aspects of a bed and breakfast stay, especially to foodies, is the gourmet breakfasts that they offer. Some inns offer multi-course breakfasts (which may fill up guests until the later afternoon hours).
Findings: Most Important Factors
Thus, Select Registry found that the majority of respondents travel rank cleanliness and location as the most important factors when staying at a bed and breakfast. Celebrating 50 years of excellence in travel, Select Registry's network of independent properties continues to offer outstanding accommodations and one-of-a-kind experiences to travelers.
Most Common Amount of Leisure Travels Per Year (Select Registry Guests)
#1 Most Common Amount of Times: 4-5 Leisure Travels Per Year (34.9%)
Around 35% of people leisure travel four to five times per year. Leisure travel is a great way to challenge yourself. You can leave behind the routine of everyday living tasks. Explore new environments, meet new people, and bring more enjoyment to your life.
#2 Most Common Amount of Times: 2-3 Leisure Travels Per Year (33.2%)
Just over 33% stated they travel for leisure two or three times per year. Leisure travel stays at Select Registry properties allow guests to have peace of mind about their accommodations.
#3 Most Common Amount of Times: 6+ Leisure Travels Per Year (29.5%)
Almost 30% of those who responded travel six or more times per year. Depending upon whether you like to travel, and if you have the ability to do so, you may be in this category.
#4 Most Common Amount of Times: 0-1 Leisure Travels Per Year (2.5%)
Not even 3% of those who took the survey said they travel 0 to 1 times per year. Because they answered the survey, this means they leisure traveled at least once, unless they stayed in the same town they live in. "Staycations" have become more popular in the last few years.
Findings: Guest Reasons for Travel
Thus, Select Registry's guest survey found that the majority of survey respondents travel between two to five times per year for leisure. Select Registry properties are a preferred group of inspected hospitality accommodations located throughout the United States.
Survey Results: In Which Seasons Do You Travel Most?
Seasonal Travel to U.S. Leisure Destinations for Select Registry Guests
#1 Season: Fall (79.3%)
Beechwood Inn located in the Town of Clayton in the North Georgia Mountains offers a stylish ambiance in a rustic mountain setting. Featuring seven guestrooms and suites in the main 100-year-old building, and two additional cabins on the property. All common areas and accommodations are fully renovated. Enjoy the mountains views from the Inn’s porch, outdoor seating areas, hammocks, or get cozy by the fire-pit. Modern amenities include WiFi access in guestrooms and throughout the Inn’s premises, an Electric Vehicle charging station.
Choose the Autumn Picnic Package in North Georgia at Beechwood Inn--Georgia's Premier Wine Country Inn. Romantic Picnic in the North Georgia Mountains – Let Beechwood Inn Chefs Pack your picnic lunch. Picnics for Lodging and Non-Lodging Guests. Beechwood Inn is a proud member of Select Registry.
#2 Season: Summer (69.3%)
Historic and luxurious, the John Rutledge House Inn is both an important historical landmark and a bed and breakfast in the heart of Charleston, South Carolina. Spend your days exploring Charleston's shopping district, delicious dining options, and southern hospitality at this one-of-a-kind inn.
Experience the Discover Charleston Package at Select Registry member, the John Rutledge House Inn. This is their most popular package. This package is available year round, but rates vary depending upon season.
Explore and discover one of America's storied cities. With this Charleston hotel package, two people will experience our historic inn and sights for three days and two nights. This package includes:
- Carriage Ride through the Historic District
- Tour of Fort Sumter
- Tour of a Historic Charleston Home
#3 Season: Spring (67.8%)
The Lodge at River Run, in Banner Elk, North Carolina, is a warmly decorated Select Registry B&B property, set on 10 acres along the Elk River is eight miles from the Beech Mountain Ski Resort and nine miles from Elk River Falls. The Rainbow Trout Room is pictured below.
Guests are welcome to enjoy fishing along the banks of the river in front of our property. The river holds rainbow and brown trout ranging from 8”-20” in length. They request that a single barbless hook be used on artificial lures or flies, and that you treat the fish with respect and return them to the river with minimal handling.
Guided Fly Fishing is one of their special adventure packages. Fish a half day or full day on local rivers. Float down the Watauga River or wade private trophy waters with our outstanding local guides. Call for available dates and pricing.
#4 Season: Winter (41.7%)
Their Deluxe Romance Package: "Treat yourself to a half-dozen hand dipped chocolate covered strawberries, a custom flower arrangement and complimentary sparkling beverage. Available as an addition to your stay for $150, plus tax. *48 hour notice required."
Their Royal Treatment Package: "The Royal Treatment Package will help you make lasting memories. Indulge in a complimentary sparkling beverage, hand dipped chocolate covered strawberries and a custom flower arrangement. To top off your stay, unwind with a relaxing and healing 1-hour, in room, couples massage. Available as an addition to your stay for $500 for two people, plus tax. *1 week advanced notice required."
Findings: Types of U.S. Destinations
Therefore, Select Registry properties are available all four seasons of the year. While not all B&B inns stay open 4 seasons, you are sure to find that many do.
Select Registry Membership
From historic inns and charming bed and breakfasts to full-service boutique hotels, guests encounter hundreds of Select Registry properties across the country. Select Registry Membership includes the following benefits:
- Active Network of the industry’s leading owners, innkeepers and hospitality professionals
- Digital marketing with inclusion in: Consumer emails, blogs, social media
- Free Digital Guest Book
- Gift Certificate Program
- Inclusion in a nationally distributed Travel & Lifestyle Magazine
- Industry leading quality-assurance program and best practices that consumers trust
- Marketing and Branding
- Mobile-responsive website referring direct commission-free reservations
- Touch-screen, digital, guest loyalty rewards program
Rob Sales of B&B Consulting, is an Allied Partner Select Registry Member. If you are interested in buying or selling a bed and breakfast property, contact Rob today for a complimentary phone consultation.